Wednesday, October 23, 2002

I got a speeding ticket

Now before I start my rant, let me just say that I'm as guilty as O.J.
For the previous 30 minutes I had been stuck behind inexplicably slow
moving traffic. The kind of traffic where you can't spend more than half
a second on the accelerator or you'd hit the bumper in front of you. Even
when the bottleneck ended, the traffic stayed frustrating. My right foot
was starting to itch just to hit the accelerator and keep it there. But
I was patient. The highway widened further. 4 lanes of traffic, 4 idiots
in a row. All going near or below the speed limit, no one passing the
other.







Then I saw a ray of light - a break in the clouds - errr cars. V6, 195
horsepower. I love my car. A tingle travels up my foot as I lay on the
accelerator, through my leg, all the way to my brain. Relief. FINALLY,
I'm in the clear. Oh crap.


=May I see your license, proof of insurance and registration?=
(Look in wallet. No license.) Ummm...sir? =Yes.= I really do
have a license, but you see, I left it in my gym shorts after... no good.=Do
you know why I stopped you?=
You see, I just wanted to get around
that one car and I really didn't want to spee.... no good.


I really don't want to speed. When I'm on the highway by myself, I go
quite slow actually. But there's something about being caught in a pack
of cars that I don't like. If I could just get around that one car it'd
be smooth sailing. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. I've gotten
much better in the heavy traffic around here about being patient and not
changing lanes, but I still need to settle down a bit I guess.


As I drove home that evening, I was passed by the usual line of maniacs
going 30 MPH faster than anyone else. One of them almost causes two wrecks
right in front of me. No cops around. "Why can't there be cop around
now? They're the real bad guys!" But I still have to pay the ticket,
which I don't even know how much it is. The county won't even tell you
until you receive a letter in the mail within 3 weeks. Maybe I'll fight
it in court. Get a good lawyer. Anyone know what Johnny Cochrane is up
to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home