
Since we moved here 4+ years ago, we've lived in the UC Village Apartments (married housing) and struggled with the job market. Well, it's time to turn over a new leaf. As of next week I'll be starting a new job, though at the same company, and we'll be moving to a house a few miles from where we live now. The job is actually a rotation, meaning that I am supposed to return to my current job after 6 months.

However, it is fairly common to not return from a rotation, and there is a decent chance that I will be offered a permanent position after the rotation is done. My current department allowed the rotation, but I think they know that these often become permanent, and it felt good when they wanted me to stay, especially after some job security uncertainties and negative experiences in the recent past. With a few exceptions, I've felt fairly unappreciated in this position, and it's nice to see someone take notice when I'm leaving. I also think they will have a hard time finding someone with my blend of skills to continue my work. I imagine they'll either realize they don't need what I do, they'll sorely miss me and beg me to come back, or they'll just change the position to fit the skills of someone else.
Anyway, the new position is in marketing research and is a great opportunity for me, either as a permanent job or a rotation. I'll get a raise during the rotation, and probably a sizable raise if they hire me permanantly. I'm just hoping they like me and I like the work (and am good at it).

The other big news is, as I mentioned, moving. When we moved in, we swore we'd never do it again. You just gotta wait until the memory is suppressed enough I guess. It will be nice having a house I think, and the landlord seems pretty good, though they all do when they want to rent you something. I'm excited about it, but I like where we live now too. I guess the construction noise and other issues are just too much for Kat anymore, and we'd really love to have a dog (and of course, a washer/dryer!) But we'll miss our friends I'm sure. It seems like a nice place, and a good deal, actually less than we're paying for our apartment, though in a so-so neighborhood.

It was only the second house we tried to rent, partially because it's hard to find a cheap house that will let you have pets, is close to transit, has laundry, etc. Our first attempt was pretty intimidating, and I'm surprised this was so easy, though I hope I'm not puttin the cart before the horse. We haven't signed the lease yet. But we have a handshake deal. On the first house, there were at least a dozen applicants, and we had to submit to credit and reference checks, and pay a fee. It was quite an experience. This current landlord is checking references, but I don't think he's doing a credit check. Hopefully, we'll get everything squared away tonight.
Sorry I've not written. I've got no good excuse. I've just been trying to avoid anything productive lately after my class ended. However, I'm at the crossroads of a very busy work, life, and school highway this week, so I figured if I didn't post now, it wasn't going to happen. BTW, the pics are from Golden Gate Recreation Area.
2 Comments:
Wow! So much has happened since you left to return home, and now it seems "home" is going to be in an entirely new place. I can't wait to see the pictures of your house. Congratulations on the new job. Give me a call soon, if you can ever reach me. I should have a telephone number for the new house soon, so you might be able to reach me there once we get past this weekend. Love you both. Ruth
Eric and I are so glad for you. Although moving is no fun, having a home with a washer and dryer will make it all worth it. Congratulations on your job. I know you have a lot to offer the company, and we're both so proud of you. We hope to hear from you soon.
Sarah
Post a Comment
<< Home