Galileo's Music Expedition: Stop 1
Welcome to Galileo’s musical expedition (Galileo being my cat), a journey across the atlas of my musical collection. Some places you’ve been, others you haven’t. A few you might never want to visit! But it should be a fun trip. I must admit I’ve always wanted to be a DJ. Many of you know I’m always pushing music on you whenever you come around. But I love music, and almost as much I love the discovery of new music and new bands. I’m big on innovation and originality, and a bit resentful of the music “industry” for not introducing these talented bands to begin with. One of my favorite videos is a Blues Traveler song, where young cool looking kids lip synch a concert while the less attractive real musicians play backstage. So true of today’s state of music. But the Internet is the equalizer. It is the one place where we can empower ourselves to discover and buy the music we want, not what some music exec says we want. So with that in mind – please – if you like a song, go buy it, or at least go to a concert.
I’ve had a tough time deciding what to play first. I could pick an old favorite that you’ve probably heard before. I could play a band that’s about to hit the big time, and introduce you to them before the radio does. One of the fun things about finding an undiscovered talent is the feeling like you’re part of something. You go along for the ride as they rocket up the charts. But there are so many of those, so where to start? Well, how about one that is just being discovered that won’t be rocketing up the charts. Why? Because he’s been dead for 30 years, and is only now getting his due. That’s how far ahead of his time he was.
His music is a mix of playful and haunting, his lyrics thought provoking and/or nonsensical. But a lot of bands coming out today, especially the new breed of alternative bands, mimic his sound, whether knowingly or not. So without further delay, I bring you…Nick Drake.
If you like these songs, try Northern Sky. For best results (and to save my bandwidth) right click and choose "Save Target As".
Pink Moon
One of These Things First

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home