Monday, January 15, 2007

More meaning of life crap


I don't know what it is with me lately, but I've been musing a lot about life. In previous posts, I've talked about living every moment to its fullest, and that's still something I believe in. I've been doing that lately. I try my best to cherish every moment and fill up my days with worthwhile things. But the clock still ticks just as fast. Five years from now how much will it matter that I've taken fun trips? 25 years from now, how much will it matter that I've taken lots of pictures? It's a start, but I'm not sure it's enough.

Complicating matters is the realization that there are holes in my little philosophy. Over my Christmas vacation in Missouri, I played lots of video games, something I've always considered a huge waste of time. But playing into the early morning hours with my brothers-in-law, I had one of the best times I've had in years doing ANYTHING. One could do a lot worse than to spend their life that happy among friends and family. Doing something completely useless. That can neither be a waste of time or the recipe for a full and happy life.

I don't think I'll be completely happy with the work of art that is my life by just painting as many bold strokes as I can fit on the canvas. I need something more. I need purpose. Now this is the part of the post where I'm supposed to tell you that I've got all that figured out too. I'm supposed to tell you to dedicate your life to God, or helping other people, or family, or saving the earth, and then tell you that for only $14.95 you can have the answer too. But that would be too easy. If it were that easy it wouldn't be one of the great existential questions. But when I do figure it out, you can be sure I'll share it here...for 3 easy payments of $9.98.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home