Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Galileo's Music Expedition: Stop 3

I doubt any of you are strangers to Ben Folds, but considering his new album is out this week, it seems an appropriate stop for our visit today.

After several solo albums and EP's, I've come to realize something about Ben. Wait, let me back up. As I said last time, many of the musicians I respect, I don't listen to a lot. I think they have some great tunes, a lot of decent stuff, and some forgettable ones.

Anyway, I don't think this is coincidence. Perhaps it's because they push the boundaries. They don't settle for 3 chord rock, and that doesn't always make for catchy sing along tunes. But I've never put Ben in this category, at least until he went solo. In many ways, he was better as part of Ben Folds Five. Not enough credit is given to Robert and Darren for their excellent contribution. Without them, Ben is stripped down to his sometimes meaningful and often witty stories, his firm grasp on music theory, and his average voice. Generally, I like most of his songs. A handful on each album are excellent, and a few are really not that good. Just like many of the other musicians I respect, but find myself not listening to the "rest" of their stuff. You know, the stuff that doesn't make it to the radio. Perhaps it's because I saw Ben rise from relative obscurity, but I seem to give Ben the benefit of that doubt where I don't give other bands.

He has often been compared to Elton John, but while Elton may be a better singer, Ben is bar far a better songwriter. It amazes me how he continues to find new and interesting songs to write. Sometimes he writes about themes that I would like to set a pen to, but am uncertain how to approach it. Like love songs or having a baby. I'm afraid I'll sound like I'm on "Soft Rock of the Eighties 105.9 FM."

But he pulls it off in a way that is totally new and completely lacking in the cheesiness that you would expect in such a song. His new song, Gracie, is one such example. Honestly, he's at his best when he's just playing around and not trying too hard. His fast songs get the radio play, but it's his slow, introspective songs that I like the most. I love how he can put you in his character's shoes with one line. It's a trait that's highly valued in advertising copywriters, the ability to get someone to relate on a personal level, but in a limited amount of time, something that translates well to the limitations of musical lyrics. For example, in "Alice Childress," Ben says:

Some summers in the evening
After six or so
I walk on down the hill
And maybe buy a beer
I think about my friends
Sometimes I wish
They lived out here
But they wouldn't
Dig this town

For me, the visual of a summer evening brings a strong emotional response, as does the feeling of doing something fun, but feeling slightly melancholy because you feel alone. This may or may not do the same for you, but Ben's songs are littered with these quick visualizations that suck you into the song on a personal level, and more than likely, some of them will speak to you.

I had a hard time picking a second song, simply because Ben has so many that I like. So I figured I'd go back to the beginning and illustrate my example, with Alice Childress, off the first Ben Folds Five album.

Gracie
Alice Childress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home